Friday, November 2, 2012

First Post: a bit of my academic history


Hello all,

Given that this is my first post, let me start with some quick basic information. My name is Dan Rillovick. I'm a sophomore (class of 2015) at Clark University (in Worcester, MA) and am majoring in physics. I was born in Salem, MA and lived in Wakefield, MA until the age of nine when I moved to New Hampshire, which is where my home is today. I chose Clark University because I wanted to return to the city after having spent the entirety of my teenage days in the rural backdrop of northern New Hampshire. Why I chose to study physics is a much more complicated question and thus has a much more complicated answer. And although I do talk briefly on my profile page about my motivations, I'd prefer not to discuss why I am studying physics just yet.

I'd like to use this post to share a bit of academic history. I think my reasons for studying physics, when I do discuss them further, will carry much more meaning if you know my story and how I got to where I am.
I wasn't always the student that I am today. In fact, I actually used to be quite the opposite in my earlier days. I never cared about my education. I didn't try in class, I didn't do homework assignments, and I didn't care that my grades were poor. I considered school to be unfit for me and mostly a waste of my time. I didn't care about the things I was taught in school at all, but my biggest enemy was always math class. Through middle school I squeaked by every year with the bare minimum and narrowly avoided retention. My performance got worse every year, until my freshman year of high school when I failed algebra I. And i didn't just fail by a few points, I failed miserably. I came out of the class having learned absolutely nothing.

Following my freshman year I finally underwent a transformation and decided to start valuing my education and trying in school. Because my performance in algebra I was so pathetic, I was forced to take a class called Integrated Math I my sophomore year. It was the lowest math class that my high school had to offer, covering one semester of basic algebra and one semester of basic geometry. I still didn't like math very much even though I was starting to try. I got a C- in this class, which is mediocre of course, especially given the level of ease of the class, but was nevertheless a strong improvement from my failing performances in years prior.

The next year was when I really started trying. I moved to mostly honors level classes, but math was the one class where I was still forced into a low-level class, this time Integrated Math II. I gave effort and grasped the material very well all year, getting a solid B in the class. It was still far from a great performance, but by the end of my junior I knew I was finally ready to study some upper-level math.

Senior year I bumped up to algebra II, despite having learned nothing in algebra I three years prior and never having taken a high school geometry class. I worked hard and focused all year and was able to pull off a B+. This was by far my most prosperous performance in math ever. And for the sake of catching up I took an online geometry class that year concurrently with algebra II. It was towards the end of my senior year of high school that I realized how wrong I'd been all those years when I had convinced myself that I just couldn't do math and that I wasn't smart enough to succeed in school. It was at this time, once I knew I could handle mathematics, that I began to think I was capable of pursuing science in college. Taking chemistry and physics greatly aided me in my grasping of math. Before then I saw math as just a bunch of different ways to mess around with random numbers and symbols, but my study of the physical sciences gave meaning to math, especially physics.

I really wish I had seen the light a lot earlier than I did, but nonetheless I find it so intriguing that for so long I hated math so much and thought I was the worst person in the world at it. If only the 14-year old version me could see me now! Once I officially decided to study physics, I got even more serious. I self-taught myself all of pre-calculus that following summer so I could catch up and start taking calculus in the coming fall. And indeed I took calculus I and II, respectively, in my first year of college. In addition I signed up for calculus-based physics courses my freshman year despite not having any calculus under my belt yet. I did it though! After completing calc II and intro physics II this past spring semester I knew I had finally conquered the beast that had conquered me for so long back in the day. I finally felt truly comfortable with math and now welcome it into my life and appreciate its essential role in the study of the universe.

This current semester I am taking linear algebra, next semester I'll take multivariate calculus, and then that will be the end of my formal education in mathematics. I must say, it is unendingly rewarding to see how far I've come in so little time!

The point of my story is that there was a time, not too long ago, when I never in a million years would've seen myself being where I am now. I know that a lot of people stay away from science because they don't see themselves as capable of doing the math. But nobody was more convinced of their mathematical inability than I was, and then one day, as if I'd had some grand epiphany that completely changed my outlook, I woke up. I realized that this misperception is so common amongst people. I can think of few things I'd rather devote myself to than helping other young people have the same awakening as me. Math really is a beautiful thing, and it is the foundation of the discipline of physics, which is ever more beautiful. To help more people see this beauty for what it is, and not as something to be feared and avoided, is certainly one of the things that compels me to study physics.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll look out for more of my posts in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment