Sunday, April 28, 2013

The End of an Era...


Greetings everyone,

            I want to use this post to reflect on my recent struggles with one of my classes, multivariable calculus. You could say that mathematics and I have somewhat of a love-hate relationship with each other. Last semester I was actually feeling rather fond of math and even considered the idea of pursuing a math minor. I was taking linear algebra at the time, which was refreshingly different from all the trig and calculus that had been crammed into my brain in the prior few years. Linear algebra deals mostly with vectors and certain sets of vectors called “vector spaces” and the axioms by which they must abide, as well as linear transformations (functions between two vector spaces) and some interesting aspects of matrices, determinants, and eigenvectors and eigenvalues. I’m sure much of that last sentence was completely foreign to many people, and, in a way, that’s the point. Linear algebra was so new and different and brought some excitement into my math life.

            As I said, this semester I am taking multivariable calculus. It has been a very harsh reminder



of why I’m not actually a math person and why I most certainly will not minor in math! Freshman year here at Clark was all single-variable calculus: learning how to find limits, take derivatives, and integrate functions of one variable (single-variable meaning one variable, y, as a function of one other variable, x, as in y = f(x)), of which I wasn’t the biggest fan. Now, in the multivariable case, I don’t learn anything totally new but just relearn things like limits, derivatives, and integrals as they apply to functions of two variables (as in z = f(x,y)). It’s all just a very tedious extension of the calculus I’ve already suffered through except instead of graphing two-dimensional curves I get to graph three-dimensional surfaces, which of course is quite a pain when lined paper and blackboards are only two dimensions. And the class covers an astonishing amount of material. We cover, in one semester, a very complicated extension of the calculus that took two semesters to study last year.

            I could certainly go on about my extensive distaste for this class, but I don’t want to ramble on too far. The point is that I find the class quite difficult, and it has been a consistent source of stress and frustration this semester. Our first midterm exam was handed back last week; suffice to say I did not do well on it, at all. This has had my mind in somewhat of a limbo over the past few days. After such a mediocre result despite tireless efforts, it’s hard not to question myself and my abilities. The ominous clouds of self-doubt and despondency are beginning to stir overhead. Well, at least they were. But just the other night as I lay distressed and wide awake in my bed I thought of something, and then, for the first time since that exam was handed back, I proceeded to sleep as sound as a baby.

            What I reminded myself of was that I am a physics major. Yes, it was that simple! It takes quite a backbone to study something like physics, and it can’t be done without a lot of resiliency and mental fortitude. I’ve seen the deepest, darkest holes of academic despair along my journey through physics, and there have been countless times where I thought it was over, that I didn’t have what it took to study the subject that I wanted to, and that further pursuit would only result in failure. But nevertheless I persisted. Now I’m taking a class on quantum physics and special relativity, which may be the most difficult thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life, and I’m doing just fine, in fact I did quite well on my first physics exam this semester.

            And so it became clear to me. I’ve faced some mighty challenges before and thought that all hope was lost, but in the end I always come out on top. I now cannot think of any other way to view my current dilemma with multivariable calculus. I have found the confidence to push myself further and harder in order to assure myself of success. Although, admittedly, math just doesn’t come as naturally to me as physics. They are one in the same in many ways, physics and math, and they share a deep, inseparable bond with each other. But mathematics alone, purely for its own sake, especially at this level, is very formal and very abstract, and it can be so incredibly hard to grasp it and be able to solve problems. Physics on the other hand uses mathematics, in all its cryptic abstractness, and applies it to something very, very real and comprehendible, the physical universe in which we all live! There’s something about the application of mathematics to nature and reality that truly brings the math alive in ways that I can understand, in a way that cannot be done in a pure math class.

            So what exactly is to become of me in the remainder of this semester in multivariable calculus, I do not know. Will I ace it? I have my doubts at this point. But I can certainly (and I certainly will) do what’s necessary to salvage a respectable grade in the class. And the fact that I’m finally forever finished with math classes after this, that this is the final push before the top of the mountain is reached, is more than enough motivation to do just that and come out alive! It shall certainly be interesting to see how things do play out from here, but, in case you can’t tell, I have all the confidence in the world as of the other night when this all dawned on me. I can already envision the joy and sense of accomplishment which will consume me as I walk out of my final exam knowing that I’ve done what needed to be done and have left myself in good hands! I can only hope it goes this way indeed. Even though we’re just not destined to be together, I’d really like to see me and mathematics part on good terms.

Thanks for reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment